Building a community of learners for present and future success
In order to support students who would benefit from academic intervention, Lefler Middle School Community has developed a four 4 tiered system to support students. Continuum of Academic Support for Student Success will help:
- Develop life and academic skills for present and future school success
- Practice and complete meaningful work
- Build confidence
- Decrease stress
- Increase parent communication/engagement
CLC Homework Zone – The CLC Homework Zone is available for all students on a voluntary basis.
- 3:05-4:00 Monday-Friday (students are not required to stay until 4:00)
- The CLC Homework Zone is staffed by Lefler teachers and CLC staff
Team Time – Team Time is assigned by teachers as a gentle reminder that completed assignments are an expectation of Lefler students.
- 3:05-3:30 Monday-Friday (students are required to stay until 3:30)
- Team Time is staffed by Lefler teachers
- Parents will be notified by their child for each class they are assigned team time.
- Students will stay after school the same day they are assigned.
Achievement Zone – The Achievement Zone is assigned by Academic Interventionists and will provide support to help students become independent learners as well as evaluators of their own progress.
- 3:05-4:00 Monday-Friday (students are required to stay until 4:00)
- Achievement Zone is staffed by Lefler teachers
- Parents will be contacted by the Academic Interventionist to discuss the Achievement Zone assignment.
- Students will stay after school for the number of days they are assigned.
- NOTE – if a student skips AZ assigned Mon-Thurs, they may be specifically reassigned to attend AZ on Friday after school prior to a referral to the administrator.
Referral to Administrator – if a student continues to struggle after Tiers 1-3, the Academic Interventionist will refer the student to his/her administrator for a parent meeting.
The bottom line is…“not doing work is not ok”
FAQ From Parents/Students About Team Time
Is Team Time a consequence?
- At Lefler we believe that doing meaningful work is important
- It is never not okay to not do your work! If a student needs help completing work, our entire Lefler team volunteers to work with students after school to provide extra support
- Team Time is a SUPPORT, not a punishment!
Why would my child be assigned to Team Time?
- Late work
- Lengthy absences
How will I be notified if my child is assigned to Team Time?
- A phone call will be made by your child for each class from the school phone
- In 6th grade, students may email their parent
What will happen if my child is late?
- Students will be late after the 3:08 bell
- Students will stay in Team Time even if late and will be assigned the following day as well
What will happen if my child skips Team Time?
- The Team Time teacher will call if a child is not in attendance of Team Time
- The child will be assigned Achievement Zone from 3:00-4:00 the following day
What are acceptable reasons to reschedule Team Time?
- Band (6th grade only)
- Medical Appointments
- Communication with teachers about any prearranged activities
What are unacceptable reasons to reschedule Team Time?
- CLC clubs and activities
- Intramural sports